Friday, March 13, 2009


In this picture, people in my class are testing planes. We all had a spot in the room to test the planes. The planes were made out of straws, a propeller, and a Popsicle stick. The Popsicle stick had to be sanded down to fit with the propeller. After we had fit the propeller in with the Popsicle stick we put them on strings about 230 cm long and put a connected a rubber band from the back of the plane to the propeller. You had to connect the rubber bands on hooks that were on the front and back.

We had to test how many winds of the rubber band it took to travel the 230 cm. My partners and I got 29 winds. We also had to guess how many winds it would take to travel half way. We guessed 15 winds because 15 is about half of 29. I thought it was a reasonable estimate but after we tested we discovered that it was actually 21 winds. We found out this was because the plane needs more energy to get started so it would need more than half the winds to make it halfway. We also tested rubber bands. We used small, skinny, stretchy ones and we used big, thick, stiff ones. We discovered that the thicker rubber bands worked better than the smaller ones.

In this unit I have learned lots of things. I have learned things like you can't change more then one variable at a time. Also I have learned that the stiff rubber bands work better on the FOSS plane and that it takes more power for a plane to get started versus when its already in the air or moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment